Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Netflix Instant Workouts: 10 Minute Solution: Kickbox Bootcamp



Note: To fulfill my exercise resolutions, I am trying every single workout program that Netflix Instant Watch has to offer.  Join me each week as I try out a new program.

This week, I had hoped to revisit my childhood dream of being a Power Ranger by trying out Netflix's sole kickboxing offering.  Unfortunately, I got my butt kicked battling imaginary Putty Patrollers.



Kickbox Bootcamp offers five 10-minute workouts: Basic Training, Ultimate Buns and Thighs, Arm and Shoulder Sculpter, Fat Burning Blast, and Washboard Abs.  The intent of the program is to give the viewer flexibility - if pressed for time, one could do just one 10-minute workout, or customize it by mixing and matching workouts.  However, Netflix Instant Watch just streams the workouts back-to-back, making it one long, intense workout.  Which is fine.  I did the whole thing without dying.  Though there were parts towards the end where I wished I were dead.

Basic Training is basically Kickboxing 101.  While teaching basic punches and kicks, the instructor also incorporates a lot of cardio moves, like imaginary jump roping.

Ultimate Buns and Thighs involved about 50 trillion lunges and squats while holding hand weights, which pretty much turned my legs into jelly.

Arm and Shoulder Sculpter also involved some hand-weight exercises, but then turned into doing punches while holding hand weights, and I'm pretty sure more lunges and squats were involved, but I can't really be sure because at this point I lost all lucidity.

Fat Burning Blast is where the Bootcamp part comes in, and involved lots of agility exercises, as well as this thing where we ran in place, squatted, dropped into a plank, did some leg moves or whatever, jumped back into a squat, to a stand, back into running in place - over and over and over again.  At one point, the instructor asked, "Are you ready?" and I found myself moaning, "For the love of all that is holy, NO!"

Washboard Abs was by far my favorite section as I got to lie down.  Don't get me wrong, it was very difficult, but at this point, I was rejoicing whenever we did a move that did not involve bending my legs.

This was by far the most difficult video I have done yet.  For days after this, my legs would not function properly...which is why I only worked out once last week.  I knew that I was supposed to, but I just hurt all over.

So would I do this again?  I know that I probably should, but I'm not a masochist.  Maybe I will be more inclined to do this again when I'm more in shape.  I think that for the time being, I will stick to cheesy dancing and Pilates.

No comments:

Post a Comment