Monday, January 23, 2012

Netflix Instant Workouts: Crunch - Cardio Salsa

Crunch - Cardio Salsa

Note: To fulfill my exercise resolutions, I am trying every single workout program that Netflix Instant Watch has to offer.  Join me each week as I try out a new program.

This week, I decided to try out the first of several "Crunch" dance workouts that Netflix has to offer.  Though Crunch Cardio-Salsa was released in 2003, it seems like it's at least a decade older.  The opening segment, in which the instructor excitedly invites you to dance with her while the camera zooms manically in and out of her face while her seven neon-clad back-up dancers gyrate in hyper-speed in the background, reminds me of early 90s MTV. 

The video was broken up into seven segments: 1) warm-up, 2) salsa combination, 3) merengue combination, 4) merengue salsa combination, 5) samba combination, 6) latin funk combination, and 7) cool-down.  I'm not sure if the instructor presented authentic moves, but if she did, boy, oh boy, do I suck at samba.  I'm not sure how all the dancers did it, but I felt like I was limping around the living room with a broken leg.  The video breezes through these segments fairly rapidly, so the workout went by quickly.

I appreciated that the workout was fairly heavy on the "cardio" half of the title.  It incorporated a lot more aerobics moves, like lunges and knee-lifts, than the previous dance workouts I had done.  I didn't really mind this, as I felt like I was getting a better work-out.  While the workout wasn't too intense, it was a lot faster-paced than the "Dance Off the Inches" workouts.  The dance moves were also a bit more complicated and involved than the other videos, and there were a couple of times when I got lost and fell out of sync with the video.  This got better the second time I did it, and I suppose that if I were to do it again, it would be easier to follow. 

One thing that was completely unnecessary and made things complicated was the live drummer in the background.  There were times when I was struggling to figure out what it was that I was supposed to be doing when the video would randomly cut to the dude, drumming away.  They also sometimes cut to the back-up dancers, some of which are doing the wrong moves and fumble in correcting themselves, which made me fumble as well.   

Would I do it again?  I would probably do this video before I did any of the previous two.  If anything, I would just do it again to see if I can get all the routines down without getting lost.  However, I'm not crazy about it, and I'm looking forward to trying the rest of the programs.

No comments:

Post a Comment